3.24.2006

San Lorenzo

Simeon and I took a really pleasant walk today (Thursday) to the church of San Lorenzo alle Colonne. Before the front courtyard are a set of Roman Corinthian columns taken from an unknown temple and put here in the 4th century. Unfortunately, pictures aren’t allowed inside, but it was a beautiful church, the highlight of which is the Cappella di Sant’Aquilino, a 5th century chapel. The church itself is free, but a 2 euro “donation” is required to enter this chapel… also, the man there was kind enough to insist I put Simeon’s coat on – it’s colder in the chapel (and below) than it is outside! We saw a pretty-much complete mosaic and lots of fragments of frescos and other mosaics… Someone’s remains are in a glass coffin on the altar, but I’m not sure whose and I’m a little glad they were so high; all I could see was a bony hand. Behind the altar is a little stone stairway and tunnel going to the crypt, which is filled with stones and column fragments from a Roman ampitheater whose materials were originally used to build the church. We were the only ones in the chapel at this point, and I have to admit that I didn’t know what was coming, and was more than a little startled when the motion-sensor light came on!
Nearby the church is a medieval gate, the Porta Ticinese. It’s from the 12th century, and at that time was along a moat; also there was a port here along a canal in Roman times. There’s no sign of water at all now, though – just shops and cafes and busy streets. Oh, and yet another playground. J We stopped to check it out and then had a leisurely walk home.



No comments: