3.19.2006

Florence: The Real Thing

We're back from Florence, and it was a terrific trip. Highlights included some serious artwork; seeing the real "David" by Michelangelo was truly awe-inspiring. Even Simeon was impressed. We also saw several unfinished works by Michelangelo, as well as his painting, "The Holy Family". There was a room full of Botticelli, including "The Birth of Venus" and "Allegory of Spring", and just loads and loads of other amazing works.

We had a great hotel again, complete with a rooftop terrace where Francois and I hung out while Simeon napped.

Pictures are here, and include shots of the incredible cathedral; the Ponte Vecchio, the only bridge in Florence not blown up by the Nazis; the Palazzo Vecchio, where the Medici family lived; the Uffizi Gallery that I mentioned last post as well as the crowd of sculpture (I think they're all copies?) outside; and the Piazza Republica, where Simeon rode the merry-go-round and we had lunch outside yesterday while a girl sang opera accompanied by an accordianist! The lion pictured here was Simeon's favorite, and whenever we left the hotel, he'd ask "We go see statues?".

I have to say I'm glad we went now, because the crowds were pretty substantial in a few places, and this is the low season.

One funny story: precisely because of the crowds, we had asked the hotel to make reservations for us for two of the museums. It costs a little bit extra but allows you to wait in a MUCH shorter line to get in. Our first one was Friday at 10:30 in the morning, and we arrived a little early and got in with just minor confusion. I thought it was strange that the stuff we saw didn't match up to what I was expecting from the guidebook, until we were almost at the end and realized we were in the WRONG PLACE! I guess that's what happens when a city has so much stunning art to offer. The gallery we were supposed to have gone to was happy to reschedule, and we went that afternoon. Oops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are enjoying the posted notes... and glad to see the "knoble" boys' coat put to such good use..