9.16.2008

eleven months (going on twenty-four)


For the longest time, I've noticed that I think of our girls as younger than they are -- partly because of their small sizes, and partly because their gross motor skills are a little behind. But this month, there's been a discernible switch. My babies are approaching toddlerhood. They're both still physically quite small, and I laugh when I realize that a big portion of the change in the way I view them is because those top teeth came in! Other things contribute too, though... for instance, Eloise learned to pull up to a standing position last week and now practices it every chance she gets. Before she figured it out, I could tell she was up to something; she was concentrating so hard on crossing that next hurdle that it really showed. Unfortunately, she also picked this time to first cut back and then to completely stop her nursing. To be honest, I'd love to be down to only a feeding a day or so and would have begun weaning anyway, but it came as a surprise that I didn't get to be in charge of this decision. Also, it's been a source of stress for me because she isn't drinking (water, juice, pumped milk, several different kinds of formula) from bottles, sippy cups, or a plain small cup. She's VERY stubborn about every aspect of this, and neither she nor Annamaria will even let me hold a cup or bottle for them. If I so much as come near it, they get mad mad mad and turn their heads with their lips sealed up tight.

Eloise

Annamaria


Annamaria is finally getting to a sitting position on her own, and while she loves to stand up too, she's not quite to the point that she pulls up yet. Poor little girl had a four day fever which of course began Thursday evening when Francois had an evening meeting and I had endeavored solo to take all three kids to a mexican restaurant downtown. Everything went well until the end (famous last words) and I'm sure I was enough of a sight carting the double stroller hanging with two booster seats, all kinds of jars and goodies for the girls to eat, and Simeon carting a handful of skittles from the candy dispenser and trying with all his might to open the door and hold it for me -- I can only imagine how this became compounded when Annamaria started crying. She's had tummy troubles ever since, but her fever finally broke yesterday.


All in all, I think this month served to remind me (lest I somehow manage to FORGET!) that as soon as I become comfortable with some kind of routine, things are BOUND to change and upheaval will reign. With Annamaria finally sleeping through the night I have to admit I felt like I was handling things so well and all was on the way up. The girls were happier and more mobile, I was having fun introducing them to new foods, and their personalities were really blossoming. Now all that's the same except they're REALLY more mobile, Annamaria has a colicky discomfort combined with separation anxiety and a small appetite, nursing has gone out the window and who knows if they're getting enough fluid let alone milk, and everything comes with a side of stubborn attitude from my girls.

We have to go down a flight of stairs to drop Simeon off at preschool, so this is the way we all load up. Just call me a sherpa.

For the past few days, Eloise totally gets the Good Twin award for being so complacent while I've tended to her sick sister. Twin of the Month is out of the question, though, because she's slipped WAY too much practice time for this standing up business into what should be her afternoon nap time, often keeping her sister awake in the process. So, I award myself this month's trophy for doing my best to roll with the punches and for taking one day at a time, remembering that before long I'll have the current issues all figured out and be graced with brand new ones to take their places.

3 comments:

JJ said...

Oh, they are all so cute!!!!! I could just eat them! Did you have any luck with the straw? Man, that is frustrating....believe me, I know! Good Luck! Only one more month to go-can't believe it's almost a year...

Jenna said...

Loved the update. You get mother of the year for going to a restaurant by yourself. Jack BEGS me daily to take him to McD's playland (on our driving route) and I always tell him not without daddy. And of course, daddy is hardly ever here. Hats of to you! That turkey Eloise sounds a LOT like Elizabeth. Must be something with the "E's". E. also has started standing up and I am worried she will walk soon and I think she'd also like to be done nursing but she won't take a bottle of anything or a cup. We have a wedding in a couple of weeks and my parents are taking our kids so we can go away alone and I don't know how she'll do. She has stranger anxiety, separation anxiety and is permanently attached to my hip. She's eating paper and crawling away so I have to go catch her. She's quick!

Joy Chafin said...

Your kids are SO cute! I love how you load 'em up. I've been trying to figure all of that out for the coming days too. And if it makes you feel any better, I've given up being in control of a few decisions around here! With three kids, we're always going to be outnumbered!! Heehee. Thanks for the update. They're just precious and look like so much fun!