So, a year ago today I found out that we were expecting twins, after seeing only one baby on the ultrasound a month before! I remember the day like it was yesterday -- I took Simeon with me to the appointment with my family practice doc, who happened to be a woman with 6 boys, the last two of whom were twins. I wasn't even scheduled for an ultrasound, but b/c S was there she asked if he wanted to see a picture of the baby? We both looked at the monitor and after a minute I asked her, "What's that circle over there? Is that the egg sac? ... because I thought that would be gone by now?" She didn't answer right away, then said that yes, that was what she was looking at, too.
At that point, I decided to just be quiet and let her concentrate, and sure enough after lots of looking and then consulting another doc to be sure (his wife was expecting twins in a week or so) they diagnosed TWO babies and sent me off with some congratulations and an appt. to see an OB after we got back in town from Lilah's college graduation in Charleston.
My doctor paged Francois for me (I was still in shock and didn't know what to say) and S and I met him for lunch to mull things over. I still have the picture of Spiderman that Simeon colored in the office that day. I also remember the trip all the way back to the office when I realized upon pulling in to our garage that I had been so out of it that I left the ultrasound pictures on the counter at the appointment desk!
It was some news that certainly took some getting used to, but I have to say with all honesty that now, I can't imagine having just one. What lucky, lucky parents we are to be doubly blessed with baby girls.
5.03.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I, too, remember our phone conversation like it was yesterday. Man does time fly!!!
This is a first for me. Dave gave me this URL and I found it very interesting. My mother had her first child in 1944 and was certain that she was going to have twins. When they brought in my older brother she demanded that they bring in the other one but they claimed there was only one. In our case, she was again certain that she was going to have twins and directed my father to watch carefully to make sure they didn't steal one. She told us that story many times and she believed it until she died. My twin sister and I laugh about it and wonder what it would have been like to have had two older brothers.
Post a Comment