(Or, as Francois' coworker pointed out, eight months of aggregate baby time.)
This month has given us big changes in the social department. First of all, both girls smile a LOT more now, and often give even strangers a big gummy grin. They even laugh every now and then, and give us lots of gurgles and other fun sounds when they're feeling talkative. Annamaria rolled over first, and about a week later Eloise did too and definitely surprised herself. Three nights in their lives now, both babies have slept "through the night" (or STTN, as I've discovered it is in short-hand in the internet-twin-moms-group-world) from after their 10 pm feeding until 6am. Needless to say, I'm REALLY ready to see some more of that.
It's also been the month of the 30 minute nap, and for that I'm afraid Annamaria loses her chance at the twin of the month. She not only insists on napping either 30 or 45 minutes on the dot, but she also wakes up Screaming. Bloody. Murder. Every time. When Mom and Dad were in town, I described her as "passionate" -- whatever it is that she's feeling, she's feeling it all over with every fiber of her being. So, the flip side of the screaming is some pretty cute grins. In fact, she did one of the cutest things we've ever seen, just last night. I had just finished nursing, and the girls were still laying on our giant pillow; Annamaria was dozing. F came home from work and gave all three of us a kiss, and when it was her turn she smiled in her sleep! Cutie patootey. We've been trying out the nickname Nona, with a long "o", and I think it might stick for occasional use. Oh, and sometimes her Papa calls her a tomato, because she's small and red and we want to eat her up. (And she had some cute tomato pjs for awhile -- thanks, John and Linda!)
We don't have a 4 month checkup until a week from Monday, and I'm dying to know how much these babies weigh. I think Eloise has gained a ton, though, and every now and then I think she feels like what I like to call "a regular baby." She's my laid back, quiet, sleepy kind of baby and she seems to give our house more of an even keel. I can't even imagine what it would be like with two Annamaria's.
Other things that have happened this month are that these sisters definitely know each other exists now -- they hold hands at about every feeding (that's seven times a day, in case you're wondering). They can both sit up with support, and they like to play with their hands and fingers. We've put them in their own cribs for a few days now (haven't tried it at night yet) and during the day I switched to a sleep sack instead of the straightjacket swaddler things.
All in all it's been a good month, and for the first time in my life I sort of understand those moms who talk about babyhood going by too fast. I'm usually of the camp that's ALL FOR a little growth and development -- bring it on! -- but knowing/hoping that these are our last, and somehow being in a somewhat mentally healthy state, does bring a bit of sentimentality to the whole thing!


2 comments:
What a wonderful update, MJ! I'm so happy to hear the details of daily life and how the individual personalities are playing out. Simeon looks like he'd win the award for best big brother! And you look amazing!
I love this post, thanks for sharing what the girls have been up to! Juliet was queen of 30 minute naps too so I really feel for you... squeeze all the babes for me!
Post a Comment