12.03.2006

carrion on ice

So we've been seeing a bald eagle here and there, ever since we moved in; at one point I even witnessed a dive where one grabbed a fish out of the lake with its talons before flying off, but we haven't seen any in quite awhile. This morning the lake out back was thicker ice than we've ever seen it, and we noticed two geese that must have met their maker during the night. Now I wasn't aware that eagles would eat roadkill (lakekill? freakin' freezing coldkill?) but apparently these were pretty hungry, and the three of them took shifts guarding and eating until Francois scared them off when he bravely went out in NEGATIVE 10 WITH THE WIND CHILL weather to capture the moment. It's pretty gross, but not your average Sunday morning sight. Just another one of those things that makes me think I can't believe we live in Minnesota.

Here's the feast (did you notice I said, "the lake" and "ice" in the same sentence?)

Some in flight right after F got too close for comfort

And the rest of us watching from the warmth of inside!
 Posted by Picasa

No comments: